Making a big pot of soup on a cold day is therapeutic. It should not be rushed. Chopping fresh veggies, a pinch of this and a dash of that, stirring, tasting and adjusting the seasoning is a labor of love. Beets are the main event in this soup and I happen to be a big fan of beets. This soup is rich, savory, hearty and velvety with the addition of Cashew Cream. The borscht hype is real!
- 3 medium red beets
- 3 carrots
- 3 russet potatoes
- 1/2 head of a purple cabbage
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 can of diced tomatoes 8 ounces
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 liters of water
For cashew cream soak 1 cup of raw cashews in hot water for 1 hour, blend with 1 – 1 1/3 cups of water, 1 garlic clove, juice from 1 lemon, 1 tsp. kosher salt until smooth. Refrigerate to allow cream to firm up.
- peel and dice beets, carrot and potato, shred cabbage, dice onion and finely chop garlic
- in a large soup pot saute onion in the olive oil until soft and fragrant, add garlic and cook 3 min, stir in tomato paste and add 2 1/2 liters of water. Bring to a boil.
- add beets, cabbage, carrot, salt and pepper to pot and cook for 1 hour or until veggies are tender. Add potato and cook an additional 20 min or until potato is tender.
Serve with cashew cream and fresh chives. Enjoy!
5 thoughts on “Vegan Red Borscht Soup with Cashew Cream and Chives”
This looks like a perfect meal for a cold winter evening! 🙂 I will definitely give it a go.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you, Kate. I certainly hope it warms you up!